Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Fingerprinting: The Key to Prosecution

How many people in the world have the same fingerprint? Absolutely, no one. Fingerprints are the number one way to identify a criminal from the scene of a crime. Identical twins have even shown to have different fingerprints which people may never know but holds true. Most cases can be solved when fingerprints at the scene of the crime are found. Investigators have been examining prints over the last century and advancements in technology have only further expedited the process. Private labs all around the country have been keeping track of prints nationwide so no matter what state a crime was committed in, there would be no lapse in data or time to solve a crime. 

Did you know that each fingerprint in the United States is held under the Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS). This sure does make one want to tread lightly right? Since the creation in July of 1999, the IAFIS has enabled the FBI to crack down on cases. 
The FBI is classified by three types of fingerprints:

  • Latent Prints - Fingerprints that are not visible to the human eye 
  • Patent Prints - Fingerprints are visible to the human eye 
  • 3D/Plastic Prints - Fingerprints left in a soft substance where an impression can be seen with depth as an added element. 
There are three classifications for fingerprints which are:

  • Arches - 65% of individuals have this 
  • Whorls - 30% of individuals have this 
  • Loops - 5% of individuals have this 
Whorls

Loop


Arches

Take a hard look at your fingers right now and compare them to the pictures you see in front of you. These designs on your fingertips could lead to solving some of the most difficult crimes out there. 
Each characterization is also different based off of different points of minutiae: Deltas, Ridge Endings, Dots, and Bifurcations. 

Crime shows always make it seem so simple and easy but each fingerprint is carefully laid out and examined under a microscope to observe the different points of minutiae. Each mark is carefully examined and compared by the IAFIS. With a direct match, prosecutors need no other evidence then a fingerprint which will help out in speeding up a trial. 

Forensic Case: Francesca Rojas Murder Case

Argentina

On June 19, 1892, Francesca Rojas came home to find her two children stabbed to death as she watched a man escape out of her window. This man was believed to have been denied by Rojas during sexual advances. Velasquez, the man accused was arrested and tortured for weeks. Many investigators searched for weeks and found a bloody thumbprint on a door handle. They had made Rojas take black ink print to compare the thumbprint. This evidence directly linked Rojas to the crime when a direct match was made through fingerprints. Rojas tried to frame this man into killing her kids because of his known dislike for children but when convicted she was sentenced to life in prison. 

Resources:
http://www.academyofhandanalysis.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Arch.jpg
http://www.academyofhandanalysis.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Whorl.gif 
http://www.academyofhandanalysis.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/loop3.jpg 
"A bloody fingerprint elicits a mother's evil tale in Argentina." History Channel. (n.d). Retrieved November 12, 2014. 
http://www/history.com/this-day-in-history/a-bloody-fingerprint-elicits-a-mothers-evil-tale-in-argentina 


16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a really interesting subject and I enjoyed comparing my finger prints to see what percentile I fell under. It's really interesting how you frame fingerprints and fingerprinting as the key to prosecution but I have to argue with any form of technology that states they are reliable. Can you say with confidence that the IAFIS has never given a false positive or is overworked with all the fingerprints it carries since 1999? It wouldn't be the first or last time a governing group has lost vital information or has incorrectly used the system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vijay, I really enjoyed reading your blog. You have a great introduction that tells me more about fingerprints and how it has helped us in the past and how it can help us in the future. Your post was highly informative and I am looking forward to reading more blogs about the relevance today. I had a few questions in mind as I was reading your post; is the FBI not using fingerprints as much as they should? Also, like Jennifer mentioned has there been any situations where the result was false positive? I have heard of situations where a lie detector test did not work properly so I was just thinking how accurate are these fingerprint tests since they are very complex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting topic. It is crazy to think that everyone has a different fingerprint. I like the use of visual images and getting the reader involved in the topic with something as small as comparisons of the images to our own fingers. I also like the use of a real world application in which someone wrongfully convicted was set free. That is a terrible story by the way. What a horrible woman Rojas is. I know that there of tons of cases like this out there and fingerprinting plays an essential piece to solving crimes. Both my brothers are cops and they always tell me about how strict policy is when handling evidence and having to wear gloves and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Vijay,

    I've heard it before but I never truly believed that everyone has a completely different fingerprint. It has always astounded me that something so small can put criminals behind bars. Just today I learned there were three not two types of fingerprints and that the only five percent of individuals have the "loop" finger print. I like how you included pictures because I took the time to compare my fingerprints and I'm sure other readers will do the same. It almost as if your blog is a bit of a hands on reading rather than just purely words, which is awesome.

    Reading the case about Francesca Rojas makes me realize how important and how beneficial fingerprints have been and continue to be for the justice system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vijay,

    You are studying forensic science here at George Mason, am I correct? This is a very important field, especially since crime will never go away. Finger print analysis has helped solve many crimes and mysteries over the decades and is an integral part in any investigation. Every person leaves a certain trace behind, and that is from the oils on our skin. So what will be in store for our fingerprints? Are we just going to use them for identification? What other technology is to come for our beloved natural signature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also if there was a way to better this field, what tricks or ideas do you have to further the study?

      Delete
  7. Hey Vijay, finger printing/ scanning I believe is becoming a very important part in helping prevent falsely accused people from being jailed or criminals from escaping the law as you highlighted above. I have a question though, is there anyway to prevent finger print scanning from working? For example, I know people burn their finger tips in acid which prevents readings but is there a long term process that could possibly distort the readings?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Vijay, very interesting blog. I have known that all fingerprints are unique, found that out when the iphone 5s came out, but what is interesting is the different classifications of fingerprints. I had no idea such a think existed, and after reading about it, I looked at my fingers to see which category I fell under, but i'm not sure. Given that all fingerprints are unique, this is the best known way to solve a mysterious crime as long as a good sample of the fingerprint is found. The blog definitely raised awareness.
    Thanks for blogging and looking forwarded to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Vijay,

    I enjoyed reading your blog and I will have to say you have a very interesting topic. After reading the case you mentioned about Rojas it magnified my belief of biometric verification and how it is used in today’s justice system. I also found your blog interesting mainly because I learned something while reading it and that was the three types of fingerprints. Fingerprint scanning is very important and it is growing with use day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The story you tell at the end really hit a homerun for your blog post. The impact it shows fingerprints can have, in a way that wasn’t so straightforward, was really well done with the nature of the blog post. I think the information you included in the beginning was really well done as well. I’m sure you know that everyone who read about the arches, loops, and whorls spent a couple minutes looking at their fingers and those of anyone next to them. That type of interaction means wonders for a blog. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vijay - genius! Fingerprinting - no two are the same! Loved your blog. Your forensic case on Rojas was jarring. Unbelievable - so glad they found the fingerprint to clear Velasquez. Really like the 3 classifications of finger prints. That is interesting. Great blog - cannot wait to read your next one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting subject... I never heard of 3D/Plastic prints until reading this blog! It's amazing how scientists can analyze something so small and insignificant and be able to reproduce an accurate recreation of the actual fingerprint!

    Was nice to look into some of the nitty gritty aspects and different types of fingerprints that come with the forensic sciences.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vijay,

    Wow, very neat and organized blog. It is very pleasing to the eye and that is an important factor and keeping the reader interested. This is a interesting topic, especially now because the new rage over fingerprint technology such as the apple iPhone or galaxy devices. You provide a ton of get information that your average person would not know. Great work I do not have much to say other than compliment you and a great blog so far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoy forensic science and your blog is very interesting. It's funny, I just received my new iPhone 6 and used the fingerprint as a means to unlock my phone.
    I love the idea of using fingerprints as no one is the same. When I was in A&P classes, during lab we did an experiment taking our own fingerprints and matching it to your examples above. Very cool. Great Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vijay,

    Reading your blog really got me interested in forensic science. I have never really read about it, but i'm glad you introduced me to this topic. One thing I knew was that everybody has different fingerprints. I also knew that identical twins have different fingerprints, because I have identical twin sisters. One thing I enjoyed from your blog was that you put pictures of the different type of fingerprints to compare them with our own. Checking with your pictures I believe I have loops which is crazy that only 5 percent of individuals have this.

    ReplyDelete